Taken from the briefing Debt Ceiling Debate Raises Legal, Regulatory and Financial Issues recorded May, 2011.
In the ongoing partisan war over government spending and taxes the next battle is whether to raise the Federal Debt Ceiling. Elected officials on both sides of the aisle are taking increasingly partisan positions.
Lecture Topics [Total Time: 01:02:30 ]
- What is the debt ceiling and why it needs to be raised
- Why the debate over the debt ceiling could lead to further budget cuts for key regulatory agencies
- How a protracted debate over whether to raise the debt ceiling could affect the capital markets
- How a failure to raise the debt ceiling could lead to a default in U.S. government obligations
- Why you and your clients will need to expect the unexpected if the debt ceiling is not raised on a timely basis
Debt Ceiling Debate Raises Legal, Regulatory and Financial Issues 2011
Practicing Law Institute