Attendees will learn about the American Bar Association’s (ABA) Model Rules of Professional Responsibility, how they differ from USPTO rules and authority, and the Office of Enrollment and Discipline (OED) governance. The program will examine conflicts of interest that may arise with existing and potential clients and malpractice issues as defined by the ABA Model Rules.
- Representation of others before the USPTO
- OED compliance and disciplinary actions
- Consistent types of conduct giving rise to malpractice complaints
- Patent Office Rules of Conduct (15 minutes)
- ABA Rules of Professional Conduct (20 minutes)
- Conduct to Leading to Malpractice Complaints (25 minutes)
Intellectual Property Risk Management
Jul. 8, 2009
- NY: 1 credit Ethics; Credit Expires 7/7/2012; WA (Activity ID 234615 - expires 2014)
- Other Jurisdictions: Check with your credit-granting authority
Donald W. Rupert, Esq., Partner, Marshall, Gerstein & Borun LLP
Donald W. Rupert provides intellectual property counseling and litigation with an emphasis on complex technology matters, including all phases of intellectual property litigation, and the negotiation and preparation of technology transfer agreements. Mr. Rupert has handled nearly 100 intellectual property lawsuits in his career and has been lead counsel in jury and bench trials involving patent, copyright, trademark and related matters in federal and state courts throughout the country and overseas and has argued cases before the U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Federal Circuit and the Seventh Circuit.
His practice also includes negotiating domestic and international licensing and litigation settlements and corporate due diligence reviews and transactions in the intellectual property area. Mr. Rupert has been the lead intellectual property attorney in licensing and corporate transactions having a cumulative value of more than $15 billion. His experiences also include patent prosecution in the mechanical, electrical, computer, chemical, and pharmaceutical industries. He is a member of the American Arbitration Association Commercial Panel of Arbitrators, arbitrating intellectual property disputes.
Practicing Law Institute