- Ethics: Foreign Corrupt Practices Act - International commercial lawyer and litigator Luis Perez explains the FCPA, its anti-bribery fines and penalties provisions, discusses DOJ and SEC enforcement trends and addresses some of the ethical considerations facing management and counsel after discovering that a violation has taken place.
- Ethics: Effect of Corporate IT Policies on Otherwise Privileged Communication - Personal use of corporate IT resources has become commonplace and, in some instances, essential for busy employees. If the company has an IT monitoring policy, however, that policy could prevent any privilege from attaching to personal communications from company employees to third parties that pass through the company's server. Counsel should be aware of the effect these corporate IT policies have (or could have) on evidentiary privileges and, therefore, the scope of discoverable information in various litigation settings.
- Ethics: Navigating the Perils and Promises of Social Networking - In-house counsel need to promulgate policies and spread the word in the workplace about the use of social media by company employees, vendors and professionals to protect the company from unnecessary brush fires that could burn out of control. Ethical limitations on lawyers direct or indirect communication with jurors and parties in litigation, through LinkedIn and Facebook groups, "friending," "liking," posting, etc.
Selected Ethical Issues for Litigators & Business Attorneys
- Luis Perez is a shareholder of Akerman where he practices commercial litigation and arbitration both at the national and international level. He has developed in-depth expertise on product liability. Luis has also actively participated in various privatization projects in Latin America and has rendered advise to U.S. companies seeking to establish operations outside the U.S. He has helped establish joint ventures between companies and entities in the U.S. and Latin America.
- Jon Barton is a shareholder of Sandberg Phoenix & von Gontard. He is a member of the firm’s products liability practice group and is active in the firm’s general litigation and business litigation practice. Jon is engaged in all aspects of litigation from the initial claim investigation stage through trial before the bench and jury in both state and federal courts.
- Heather Wilson is a member of Frost Brown Todd practicing labor and employment law. She is a rising star in employment litigation and business counseling. Heather represents employers in both federal and state court involving claims under Title VII, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA), The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), covenants not to compete and wage claims.
- Washington State: 1 AV Ethics credit (MCLE ID: 318675)
- Other States: Consult your credit-granting authority