Prisoners who have served their time and are ready to re-enter society face many hurdles, including legal problems that may continue after their incarceration has ended. Overcoming them – from re-establishing family relationships and dealing with neglected financial responsibilities to restoring driver’s licenses – often requires a special kind of help.
That’s where you come in – the NJSBA YLD and JCETP invite you to join a blue-ribbon panel of speakers to discuss legal and practical obstacles to re-entry and the ways in which you can help.
Whether it’s job-seeking (and the internet knowledge that task now requires) or mastering technologies that the rest of us take for granted, like smartphones, returning home from prison can create overwhelming challenges for even the most focused individuals.
Join NJICLE, a division of the New Jersey State Bar Association, for this special event, designed to provide you with insight into the challenges facing prisoners seeking a path to re-enter society, as well as the services and solutions available to help.
Featuring a panel of New Jersey’s top experts, you’ll get a comprehensive understanding of the key issues you need to know.
A New Beginning: Prisoner Re-entry Training for Lawyers
Saturday, February 28, 2015
9:00 AM - 4:00 PM
New Jersey Law Center
One Constitution Square
New Brunswick, NJ
- New Jersey Reentry: A Public Policy Challenge:
- United States Attorney Paul J. Fishman
- Mayor of Jersey City, Steven M. Fulop
- Acting Attorney General John Jay Hoffman
- Governor James E. McGreevey (moderator), Executive Director, Jersey City Employment and Training Program
- Family Law:
- Custody - Supti Bhattacharya, Esq., Skey & Bhattacharya, LLC
- DCPP - Allison C. Williams, Esq., Williams Law Group, LLC
- Domestic Violence - Dana M. Van Leuven, Esq., O'Sullivan Law Group, LLC
- Child Support - Veronica R. Norgaard, Esq. (moderator), The Weinberger Law Group, LLC
- Municipal Court/Criminal Law:
- Defense - Steven W. Hernandez, Esq., The Hernandez Law Firm, PC
- YLD Perspective - Katherine Caola, Esq.
- AUSA - Caroline A. Sadlowski, Esq. (District of New Jersey)
- Honorable Madeline Cox Arleo, District Court Judge
- John G. Koufos (moderator), Jersey City Employment and Training Program
- Corrections & Public Benefits:
- Director Oscar Aviles, Hudson County Department of Corrections
- Frank Mazza, Hudson County Department of Corrections (Director of Community Reintegration Program)
- NJDOC Commissioner Gary M. Lanigan
- Robin Stacy, NJ State Parole Board Legal/Appeals Unit
- Chairman James T. Plousis (moderator), NJ State Parole Board
- Plus additional speakers to be announced!
NJ CLE: This program has been approved for 6.0 credits (50 minute hour)
PA CLE: 5.0 substantive pending ($20 fee – separate check payable to NJICLE must be submitted at the end of the program)
NY CLE (t&n/t): 6.0 professional practice credits
- Attend this program for free when you agree to represent a participant in the prisoner reentry program.
- If the Jersey City Employment and Training Program does not confirm your participation in the program by July 1st, you will be charged $170 for your attendance.
- Note: Door Registration is $190 - so pre-register now!
- New Jersey State Bar Association and the New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education, a Division of the NJSBA
- Co-sponsored by the Jersey City Employment and Training Program, the New Jersey Reentry Corporation, and the NJSBA Young Lawyers Division